It is the capital of the province of Jujuy, well-known as the "Cup of Silver" for their small size and for the special way of being summoned in the mouth of the valley from Jujuy to few kilometers of the beginning of the gulch of Humahuaca, in the fair place in the one that the Big river of Jujuy that lowers for the narrow pass, meets with the river Xibi Xibi, being formed a high plateau between both and it narrows.
It is primary center of services and office worker for a very big variety of agricultural activities, cattlemen, mining and industrial that are developed in the province.
It has always been a regional cultural center and, for twenty years, their university has produced an important scientific impulse, standing out the reissue of works classics linked with the history and geography jujeñas.
The center - framed by the beds of the two rivers - it is supplemented with the new neighborhoods
of San Pedrito, Gorriti, Castañeda, Cuyaya and Mariano Moreno skirting the Xibi Xibi.
City is in the high of the western plateau of it Snows; in the wide bed of the Big river, the neighborhoods San Martin and Belgrano and, of the other side of the river, The Pear trees and The Vineyard.
San Salvador of Jujuy had three foundations; both first, destroyed by the Indians, they were the City of it Snows in 1561, maybe in the place where today the neighborhood of the same name, and San Francisco of Alava is where today the cemetery of the city is, very near the fork of the two rivers. The definitive foundation of San Salvador of the Valley of Jujuy , in April of 1593, settled in the center, halfway of the previous foundations.
The place has a strategic location, in the limit among the gulch of Humahuaca and the plain that it is denominated valley of Jujuy , and a remarkable defensive position.
This location "among rivers" that you/they run at short distance motivated that its foundation plane was a lengthened rectangle of ten apples for four, each one of those which measured 440 feet of side ( 126 m ). The streets, in turn, had 35 feet ( 10 m ) of wide.
The city progressed scarcely in the first times: the quantity of 45 neighbors when being founded the city in 1593 decreased at 9 in 1607.
The XVII century saw begin the construction of the main church, that of the Franciscans and the hermitage of San Asleep, nucleus of the later hospital, in spite of the pest of 1630 and of the wars calchaquíes that began that same year.
During the XVIII century the city prospered and in the census of 1779 It had 2.000 inhabitants. The wars of the independence and against Bolivia they marked a great urban setback. The exodus of 1812, with the rising occupation for the army of Pious Tristán, the later occupations and unemployments, especially the realistic lootings of Pezuela and Olañeta, in 1814 and 1818, motivated to many jujeños to emigrate, especially to Buenos Aires .
In 1869, the city had 3.000 inhabitants. In 1894 the Bridge Pérez was built, of metallic structure, the first one that communicated the center with the band of the Big river; in 1903 the railroad arrived, in 1909 the electric light and in 1910 the first automobile circulated.
Between 1935 and 1950, the city expanded beyond the two rivers and the neighborhoods appeared. Starting from 1960, the city began to grow in height and today its population it ends up multiplying 60 times the quantity of the first national census of 1869.
The trade and the urban life present an upset concentrated movement in the streets Alvear, Belgrano, Lavalle, Necochea and Balcarce, mainly in the mornings. To know the city we propose two Walks, one pedestrian and other vehicular.