Turismo en Jujuy , Argentina
Search information
Country Information
Humahuaca
 
   Jujuy
   Yavi
   Tilcara
   La Quiaca
   Humahuaca
   Purmamarca
 
   4 Tracks
   Air Activity
   Nautical Activty
   Horse Riding
   Hiking 
   Hunting
   Fishing
  Climbing
   Mountain Bike
   Paragliding
   Rafting
   Sauna-Spa
   Trekking
 
   Golf Courses
   Ski Resorts
   Argentine Wines
   Rural Tourism
   The Tango  
   Tourist Trains
   Jesuitics buildings
   Nationals Parks
 
 
History of Humahuaca
Torre de Santa Bárbara en Humahuaca
 
Fiesta popular en Humahuaca
 
Iglesia de Humahuaca
 

 

It is located 2.940 meters Here an it existed «tambo» of those installed by the Incan government to make sure the communications. In 1549 the priest Gaspar of Carvajal who had arrived in the expedition of Núñez of the Grassland, a time passed here. From that time, Francisco Pizarro had granted the territory in it commends, but this could not become effective for the indigenous resistance until ends of the century XVI, when quickly several proprietors the gulch and the Puna were distributed.

The first agent of Humahuaca was Juan Ochoa of Zárate and in 1603 the father Melchor Martin was the first parish priest of the region.

This town already existed in 1596, surely as continuation, of the prehispanic establishment beside the same river. The irregular urban structure of the town of Indians should have lasted for a lot of time and it is probable that, newly in the XIX century, you has proceeded to the rectification and demarcation, supporting the new layout to regulate, but with unequal apples, in Santa Bárbara's churches and San Antonio . Around this last one and of the square that faces it it fixed the main center of the town.

For 1638, thanks to Juan's itemized testament Ochoa of Zárate and other documents of the time, we can conclude that Humahuaca prospered due to its abundant mines and to the commercial activity in mining and livestock. According to the inscription that is read in one of the bells of the current church, in 1641 Pedro of Abreu was parish priest and Pedro Socompa, the main cacique. The important arrangements that were made in the church toward century ends demonstrate us that the prosperity continued.

For their privileged situation as stage in the one in route to the High Peru, the town had protagonistic paper. Between 1814 and 1821 in their floor got rid 14 combats of the war of the independence and in 1837, during the conflict with Bolivia , took place the marshal's invasion Santa Cruz . It was this a long stage in which people, the buildings, the production and the trade suffered. In the second half of last century the activity reborned: in 1852 a Philanthropic Society was constituted, three years later the public property of the lands was decreed occupied by the town, in 1858 an administration of mail was founded.

Then, in 1872, a public library was born, in 1877 a telegraphic office was enabled and, finally, in 1906 the last two signs of the progress decimonónico arrived: the railroad and the hospital.

Viajoporargentina - Información turística sobre la República Argentina
© 2003- Prohibida su reproducción total o parcial. Derechos de Autor 527292 Ley 11723