Its old inhabitants were the minuanes, who lived there up to the middle of the XVIII C. They tried to survive fighting against the Spanish, but they were exterminated, leaving the name La Matanza to the town that arose later on.
In 1829 León Solá called it Victoria. On May 13th, 1810, the first oratory was inaugurated; it was under Nuestra Señora de Aránzazu invocation.
The first immigrants who arrived there were Basque and geneves, they lived in the Quinto Cuartel area, and they began digging looking for calcareous stone that becomes lime, after being burned.
The first warehouses were opened by that time, and the old Port (Viejo Puerto) showed a great activity, the main regional products were: furs, leathers, fish oil, etc.
Sometime later, the wheat and the flax were incorporated to the Río de la Plata's Market