Between the XVII and final century of the XVIII one a town and an oratory settled down in the well-known area as place Caballú Cuatiá, to the south of the outlet of the homonymous stream. July of 1835, 13 the governor Echagüe dictated a law that creó the Villa of Our Mrs. of La Paz , to the north of the stream, the one that didn't prosper. Thirteen years later, the colonel Antonio Exequiel Berón of Astrada established a new village, this time to the south of the stream.
That same year departmental head was designated and a port and a navy were enabled. In 1865 lands were granted in gratuitous form, with what the population increased. Today, the regional production is fundamentally cattle, on the base of bovine and sheep, but with alternative agricultural: linen, wheat, corn, sorghum granífero, rice, soya, sunflower, cotton, lentils and horticultural cultivations. For the existence of prairies inundables and taken a bath, the rice is the most cultivated, what is appreciated in the quantity of mills processors that have arisen in the area.
The surrounding landscape is spectacular, with the river Paraná, ravines imposing, green lomadas and natural forests.