After Arroyo Grande Victory (Brazil), when Corrientes Province was liberated under the leadership of the governor Joaquín de Madariaga, the Paso de los Libres City was founded on September 12th, 1843. It is the Capital City of the department of the same name.
It was founded near the fork of the Uruguay River and the Jatay Stream, this place was known as "Rincón San Jorge".
Its name was a homage to 108 people from Corrientes that crossing the Uruguay River, helped to defeat the Brazilian troops. It became a city in 1888.
It is located beside the Uruguay River on a hill that allows to watch a beautiful natural landscape..
It is a border city, so, it has a lot of traffic and it is joined to the Brazilian city of Uruguayana through a bridge that is 1400 meters long.
The city is characterized by its modern architecture, its beaches, its sweet shops, discos, casino, etc. It also has an airport, and as it is an important border city, the Customs occupies an outstanding place.