Their origin is imprecise. During the XVIII century, their poblamiento was affected by invasions of indigenous abipones, not subjected, and for Andresito Artigas in 1818.
It is recognized 1825 as the year of their foundation, on the bases of the military port The Crucecita, where the navigators were provided of meat and provisions.
The governor Pedro Ferré, to concentrate the population, ordered the mensuration that year. It made transfer to poor families of several places and indigenous of the old Jesuit missions.
The natural conditions of the port facilitated the one it robs of ships of great soaked. Also, it had a development politics in relation to having imposed customs officers. In 1827 the temple was enabled and it enthroned the image of the Virgin of Caá Caray.
The Law of Immigrants of 1830 generated a great expansible impulse starting from the radicación of foreigners and of a diversified agricultural economy, what justified its elevation to the village range in 1862.
Between 1860 and 1880 it suffered in direct form the conflicts of the war with the Paraguay and the epidemic of yellow fever.
The Law of Agricultural Colonies of 1887 favored the arrival of an important number of Italian colonists, passing the village wing city category in 1888.
After a sustained development, it decayed due to the political situation and to the conflicts raised between 1915 and 1930, what caused the exodus of the wealthiest families whose residences were transformed into offices, institutions and trade.
The same as it happened to a great number of agricultural-port towns, the decrease of the fluvial transport altered its urban development. Their dynamic area has moved today from the riverside of the river toward the vicinity of the RP27.
This town is one of the few ones that has shown an important demographic growth thanks to that it was able to attract industries citricolas; in fact, became leader among those producing of that item. It also possesses factories of sweet regional, silos of rice and the factory TANSA CORP. of Canvas shoes that produces the cloth Denim for making of juvenile clothes.