It is a plane area, partly cultivated, and in parts with the stocky vegetation of the mountain mount. As goes into will go discovering a series of elements that you/they are characteristic of the landscape of the pampas of height.
The presence of water ago possible the agricultural activity; cultivations like the corn, resistant to the strong winds and the rigorous climate, they are alternated with extensive pajonales where ganado;en an intent is raised to achieve bigger productivity plantations they have been introduced of coniferous (km 6,5).
The land is plane, with light visible waves in the distance. In the hollows and protected places, the ranches of the puesteros and their corrals, surrounded of wickers. Area visited by vizcachas hunters and partridges.
The pampas was inhabited by nomadic hunters (region of Ayampitín) and later on for groups comechingones and sanavirones. In 1598 the grace of Oláen surrenders to Jerónimo Abregú and Bathrobe and then Felipe of Soria receives the grace of Ayampitín. With the time these lands were acquired by the second lieutenant Ignacio Salguero and Goatherd who it resided in them between 1748 and 1756 organizing the stay of Oláen. Inherited by the Bishop Dr. Diego Salguero and Goatherd, this donates it in 1763, together with the lot that today occupies the Hospital San Asleep in Córdoba. Much later, both properties integrated the one
patrimony of the Foundation San Asleep, the one that leased a part of the lands of Pampas from Oláen to particular companies for the exploitation of minerals and another to the Argentinean Army to carry out military maneuvers (period 1953-1963).
In km 14, in a point signalled by a monolith, the road forks. Turning to the left leaves to the cascade of Oláen. To the right will go to Characato. It intends first to go into 22 km toward the right one and then, returning for the same road, to continue for that of the left to go down Molinari next to the RP38.
The walk to Characato is only recommended to the most audacious, because the road deteriorates with the rains and it is trafficked by big trucks that go to the marble quarries. In km 18 are distinguished the spent summits of the hills Table Dead Mule, Table of Corral Blanco and Table of the Palmar, with exceptional views of the arch of mountainous cords. The vegetation also changes: will abandon the pastizales and will see a stocky cover, xerófila.
In km 24 will reach a high point where will see the river run to the bottom of a closed valley. Surrounded of espinillos it will begin the descent to cross the river Pinto in km 25, for a very solid bridge built in 1984. To 1 km of the river it leaves in route to the right that takes to a quarry. These lands have high value for the wealth of marbles and lime.
In km 31 will cross the guardaganado, entering in the stay Characato. The road descends again among low vegetation to cross the river San Gregorio and in km 34 will see to its right a marble quarry and granite, of Onemar, very tecnificada.
In km 35 the road forks; takes to its left 2 km toward Characato, small population with two hostels and warehouse where to be supplied, located to the foot of some mackerel, very rounded rocky formations and with a pretty river. You will be able to walk, to rest, to come closer to the spa and to enjoy the reining silence. They are very few the tourists that arrive here and it promotes it to him as, «the habitation of the silence».
Return heading for the bifurcation ( 2 km ). Turn to the left to arrive at the Chapel of Characato, to 1,5 km . It is in total state of abandonment. It is of simple lines, with steeple lateral brick ymuros without revoking. Their silhouette is clipped in the immensity of the landscape.