Turismo en Argentina
Buscar alojamientos, excursiones ,etc
Información de Argentina
 
   La Boca
   San Telmo
   Monserrat
   San Nicolás
   Retiro 
   Recoleta
   Balvanera
   Puerto Madero
   Palermo
   Belgrano
   Flores
   Mataderos
 
   4 Tracks
   Air Activity
   Nautical Activty
   Horse Riding
   Hiking 
   Hunting
   Fishing
  Climbing
   Mountain Bike
   Paragliding
   Rafting
   Sauna-Spa
   Trekking
 
   Golf Courses
   Ski Resorts
   Argentine Wines
   Rural Tourism
   The Tango  
   Tourist Trains
   Jesuitics buildings
   Nationals Parks
 
 
History of the neighborhood

 

 

Bala de cañon usadas contra los británicos dejaron marcas que aún pueden verse en el frente de la iglesia de Santo Domingo

 

 

Patricio de 1806

 

 

Husar de Pueyrredón

 

 

Pistola Tower utilizada por las fuerzas inglesas en 1806
 
During the XVII and XVIII centuries Buenos Aires began to expand and to populate this neighborhood of the south that would begin to be identified with San Pedro's name of the High one, because of their higher position. Also known as "neighborhood of the port", it was witness in the year 1600 of the appearance from the cult to San Pedro González Telmo, designated boss of Sacred Domingo's old convent located in the apple of Peru then, Mexico, Bolívar and current Chile, that is to say outside of their limits.

Who populated initially it was a reduced group dedicated to the tasks of the near port. They were located in the proximities of the Square Dorrego and on the current one Defense that is remains silent this the oldest in the city is considered.

In 1734 the Jesuit decided to found a church in the area only arriving the real authorization for it in 1748 when the construction of the Church of Our began Mrs. of Nativity, in the land donated by gift Ignacio Bustillo and Zeballos. Next to her would be born a House of Spiritual Exercises later for men. The group adopted the name of "The Residence", which would extend then also to the neighborhood and the square of the High one, the one that in 1822 it would be denominated "of the Trade". From 1861 the market of the same name will work in her, until in 1897 the square took its physiognomy of such receiving in 1900 Colonel's denomination Dorrego that still shows again.

With the expulsion of the Jesuit in 1767 the works of construction of the church were unconcluded and two years later the area was low the dependence of the Immaculate Concepción's parish.

In 1785 the parents Bethlemitas was made position of the temple transferring to the annexed house its hospital. The house of Exercises already began for then to be used as jail, function with which will survive until our days.

In 1806 you creó San Pedro's Parish González Telmo, being designated to the church of Our Mrs. of Nativity like headquarters of the same one until so much the temple head, thing was erected that was never carried out. Our Mrs. of Nativity it was concluída in 1876, and the habit has made ignore its true denomination perpetuating that of Church of San Telmo on the other hand.

During the English" "Invasions the neighborhood was occupied by the invaders and in the same one two hospitals of blood settled down. In this opportunity some remarkable facts took place as that of Mrs. Martina Grasses who took prisons at eleven of the twelve Englishmen that entered in their home, since one of them it finished marrying their daughter. During the time of Roses, settled in the Neighborhood, in the street Chacabuco, the Barracks of the Ear, living their celebrated boss very close, Ciriaco Cuitiño.

The neighborhood was growing, prospering, becoming residence of traditional families that today occupies an outstanding place in the Argentinean society. Example of remarkable families, those of Domingo French, Esteban Of Luca, Esteban Echeverría and other points.

The neighborhood suffered an abrupt transformation after the epidemic of yellow fever of 1871, when it was deforested by its richer families who looked for better climatic and sanitary conditions in the north or in the west of the city, losing this way the south neighborhood the importance of in the past.

Following the street Defense, historical axis of the neighborhood, we arrive at the Park Lezama. The place was known as "fifth of the Englishmen", since from 1812 it was in hands of the English Daniel Mackinlay and from 1845 in those of the North American Carlos Ridgely Horne who sold it finally to gift Gregorio Lezama. In 1894 the fifth was bought by the Municipality being created the beautiful park that we know there.

These abandoned houses served from housing to several families of immigrants and they were becoming what today is known in day like conventillos.
Viajoporargentina - Información turística sobre la República Argentina
© 2003- Prohibida su reproducción total o parcial. Derechos de Autor 527292 Ley 11723